Top Tips

Share this page with others.:FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInEmail

If you only take one thing away from your visit to this site please let it be the first tip in our list, the majority of people we visit do not know where their mains water stop cocks is situated and often when we do find them they are seized and it isn’t possible to turn the without the use of a wrench which in it’s self runs the risk of snapping the spindle.

The following tips may help you reduce the risk of a plumbing emergency and could save unnecessary expense and distress.


  • Find out where your stop valve (stop cock) is located on the incoming water supply (water main) and label it. Check occasionally that it is in fully working order. 

  • Find where other service valves, sometimes referred to as ‘gate valves’ or ‘stop cocks’ are located? Label them and check from time to time that they are working correctly.

  • Look for the location of any drain valves on the hot water, cold water and central heating system too. These can be used in an emergency to empty your water and central heating systems after the stop valves have been closed off. (Once the source of heat has been put out).

  • Ensure that the storage cistern, tank, and exposed pipes are properly insulated, particularly in the roof space or attic. It is a good idea to make sure that your hot water cylinder is adequately insulated. In very cold weather take special care to prevent water pipes becoming frozen. If you have a storage cistern (tank) in the roof space, it can be a good idea to leave the hatch partly open. Heat from the house will help to keep the cistern and pipes from freezing. Inspect your cold water storage cistern (tank) regularly and, if it is metal, make sure it is not corroding.

  • With your domestic appliances such as washing machines and dish washers, check that service valves operate correctly and also check condition of the flexible hose’s at regular intervals.

  • A common cause of emergency call out is a leaking/faulty WC cistern. Check that there is a working service valve fitted to the water inlet to the cistern so that the water supply can be isolated in the case of an emergency.

  • Running overflow pipes and dripping taps are a sure sign that your plumbing system requires maintenance. To avoid small problems becoming major problems call in the services of your local Anglian Water Registered Plumbing Professional.

  • Have central heating boilers and other heating appliances serviced yearly.

  • If you have a ‘mains pressured hot water cylinder’ you should have it serviced annually as there are several safety devises incorporated which are essential to there safe operation

  • Make a note of your Anglian Water Registered Plumbing Professional or Heating Professional telephone number for future reference.

  • Call in your Anglian Water Registered Plumbing Professional if there is any sign of a problem.

  • Express Plumbing

  • 07801 750011

Share this page with others.:FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInEmail